Friday, December 7, 2012

Illamasqua - Swinger

Swinger is from the Naked Strangers collection that Illamasqua put out awhile ago. In spite of one of my friend's request that I wear a polish that matches my purse du jour, I haven't worn any even though the are all pretty much great matches to it. (The purse, incidentally, is fabulous, a creamy shade for the main body with antiqued brass highlights, dark brown underside and handle and red trim. FAAAAABulous!) I finally did because I had promised I would.
I believe I've mentioned that color for me is very mood based. It's very...intangible. I respond strongly to colors. I was feeling pretty depressed for my last manicure. I didn't want to make the drive, it was fuhreezing outside...my brother was being an ass. You know. Depressed. Didn't want to get out of bed. So I copped out, just decided to finally make good on my word and went with one of these neutrals.
BMWWU took advantage of my unusually subdued state to put my color over a UV gel base. Yeah. Still hate it. And I will show you why!

Here is Swinger. I took a shot in the box to show you the neat thing Illamasqua is doing. It's both pretty and utilitarian, as you know, if you've ever tried to rack your brain remembering what the hell Snap looks like, or how dark blue Baptiste is.


It's a little window! They've been doing this for a little while now, but I think it's great. You can view your color without having to open the box and it saves the boxes, too. I hate raggedy boxes. 


They also put little colored labels on the tops, which is cool. I think they have caught on that we all have drawers or Helmers or whatever like that, where we often are choosing a color by looking into a storage container. Is this label anywhere near the color? Obviously not, but it's in the family and really...won't you take that? It's not out in left field.

So the color itself, and I only have a few pictures because half of what I took were blurry. I tossed them. I'm here to show you colors, not give you vertigo. I can do that with what I have.

It's a lovely gold tinted champagne. It's described by Illamasqua as "glistening platinum gold", which is...way more accurate than I can get! It's pretty difficult to describe.

This is quite color accurate, actually. It has those lovely shimmery particles that I love, almost glass fleck like.


And that is why I don't like gels. I had this same experience with them before. I still have them on and I can't wait for them to go on Saturday. They're peeling around the cuticles, the tips are peeling...don't like it a lot. It is what ultimately ruined this manicure. The middle finger there peeled off in a big chunk, which is what I have known gels to do. I wound up having to remove the gel from that whole nail, which irritated me no end. Yes, I was able to take this off and apply a new color easily, I was also able to swatch and remove glitters easily (Wait for it!) on it. I could almost recommend gels just for glitters, but...I just don't like them!

This wore a solid week. 7 days. Which is great, and could be owing to the gels. BMWWU has become a devoted gel applier, I will probably never be converted. And she tolerates that.

The color is gorgeous and sophisticated and highly wearable. Because it's such a neutral gold, it works with every outfit. I felt a little like Lorelei in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Square cut or pear shape these rocks don't lose their shape! I felt flashy! Fancy! Oh so Ritzy!

And then the gel peeled and that was the end of that.

I hope you do like this color, I recommend it whole heartedly. It's beautiful and understated and elegant. I think anyone could wear it.

Can't recommend the gels, though.

Happy Gel Free Talons!!

No comments:

Post a Comment